"Pencil" is a log-message-compiler for java (keyword: generative programming). It takes bytecode produced by javac (or another java-compiler), transforms it and enriches it with real logging expressions.
The main goal of the "Pencil" project is to provide a mechanism to make logging easy, safe and fast. To achieve this result, "Pencil" uses its own expression language developed with the ANTLR parser-generator.
* The Pencil log statements are more readable than usual log instructions.
* Java source files with Pencil statements are shorter the java files with usual logging.
* Pencils way to log forbids errors during the log process (no NullPointerExceptions, no unmeant business logic).
* Pencil is based on commons logging. so yuo can use your favorite logging framework to log.
* The modified bytecode is automaticaly enriched with isDebugEnabled() calls, to make the logging fast.